Lay Servant Ministries
Lay Servant Ministries is one of the most significant lay leadership developments programs already available within the United Methodist connection. Through this system of equipping and empowering, lay servants have the opportunity to grow as disciples of Jesus Christ who then go and make other disciples.
Mark 10:45 – For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others
The Certified Lay Servant is:
- An active supporting and professing member of a local church.
- Has the desire to serve the church.
- Is well informed on – Scripture, doctrine, heritage, and the organization of the United Methodist Church.
- Receives training through their district or conference to develop their skills in witnessing to the Christian faith.
- Serves in the local church/charge and beyond, using their spiritual gifts to inspire others to a deeper commitment to Christ and more effective discipleship.
- Is equipped though continued study and training to lead, assist, and support the mission and ministries of the church.
Lay Servants have a wide range of functions both in the church and the community.
||Caring & Visitation Ministries
||Called to share the good news of Christ with others
|Small Group Studies
|Mission & Outreach
||Caring for the hungry
|(locally & globally)
||Caring for the imprisoned
|In Worship settings
||Care & Concern for Pastor
Speaking in community venues
|Assist with Liturgy
||Care & Concern for Staff
Giving voice to the voiceless
|Assist with Communion
- The Basic Course is the introduction to lay ministry and is the required course for becoming a Certified Lay Servant/Speaker/CLM. This course is also available in Spanish.
- An approved refresher course must be completed once in every three years in order to maintain Lay Servant/Speaker status. The following courses are from the 2017 LAY MINISTRY Equipping Resources Catalogs.
Upcoming and Recent Events by District
Oct 13-14: Lay Servant Ministries Fall Classes, Little UMC, Littleton, Colorado
Mile High/Pikes Peak
- Oct. 13-14, 2017: Pikes Peak Sub-district Lay Servant Ministry Classes, Central UMC, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Peaks & Plains
- Oct. 7 & 14: Lay Servant Courses, First UMC. Loveland, Colorado
- Oct. 6-7, 2017: Lay Servant Ministries Training, Center UMC, Center, Colorado
- Jan. 19-20, 2018: Lay Servant Ministries Training, Ordway UMC, Ordway, Colorado
- May 11-12, 2018: Lay Servant Ministries Training, La Veta UMC, La Veta, Colorado
- Oct. 27-28, 2017: Advanced Lay Servant Course-United Methodist Heritage, First UMC, Grand Junction, Colorado
- Nov. 3-4, 2017: Advanced Lay Servant Class-Leading Prayer, Fruita UMC, Fruita, Colorado