On March 23, 1869, eight women gathered at Tremont Methodist Episcopal Church in Boston, Massachusetts, and organized the Women's Foreign Missionary Society, what would become United Methodist Women. Those women raised money to send a doctor, Clara Swain, and a teacher, Isabella Thoburn, to India as missionaries to serve the women of that nation. Since then, for nearly 150 years, United Methodist Women has evolved to become the largest women's faith-based service and advocacy organization, underwriting programs that provide life-changing opportunities for women, children and youth. To celebrate the dedication and foresight of our foremothers, every March 23 has become A Day of Giving to the Legacy Fund Endowment Campaign. Learn more.