Organist/Accompanist - Mountain View UMC, Boulder, Colorado
August 11, 2016
Mountain View United Methodist Church
355 Ponca Place, Boulder, CO 80303
Job description for Organist/Accompanist position
The organist supports the faith of the congregation through the ministry of music. An understanding of the faith statements of the church and an ability to select and perform music, which supports those statements, is required. Organ is a Reuter pipe organ.
This is a part-time position, 12 - 15 hours per week. Salary is negotiable based upon experience and education. Extra compensation is available for weddings and funerals. Use of church instruments and facilities is available for student instruction and for concerts and recitals.
Description of responsibilities:
- Lead congregational hymn singing during worship services, both on organ and piano. Ability to improvise, transpose, and use varied registration and textures with hymns.
- Play preludes, postludes and offertories for worship services, using music from the large repertoire of sacred, classical music for organ and piano.
- Accompany the Chancel Choir and other ensembles in regular Sunday services and in rehearsals each Wednesday (7-8:30 p.m.), late August through early June.
- Accompany vocal and instrumental soloists and ensembles in worship.
- Participate in extra services, such as Mountain View Sings, Music Heritage Sunday, evening Holy Week services, and extra Christmas and Easter services.
- Work in close cooperation with the Director of Music and Pastors in providing leadership and planning for worship and music in the church.
- Contact and work with the organ technician for tuning and maintenance on the organ.
- A music degree is preferred.
- Previous experience as a church musician is required.
- Ability to work well with other music staff members.
- Strong communication skills.
Candidates should submit an application letter, resume, two references, and a recording of several worship suitable pieces on both organ and piano (no more than 20 minutes) to Director of Music, Steven Burchard at firstname.lastname@example.org. A live audition will be required for job finalists. Organ specifications are available upon request. For further info, contact Steven at 303-726-9630.
Contact: Steven Burchard
355 Ponca Place Boulder CO 80303