(Wider church, ecumenical, or events held within the Conference boundaries that are sponsored by other entities)
- National Park Service hosts free events to remember Sand Creek Massacre - Nov. 29
- Creating a Culture of Renewal with Rebekah Simon-Peter - Jan. 6 to 8, 2015
- Western Jurisdiction United Methodist Clergywomen's Consultation - Feb. 23 to 25, 2015
- Wesley Festival Seeks Participants for May 2015 Gala Concert in Washington, DC
- Sand Creek Prayerful Preparation gathering at Eads UMC - Nov. 29
- Coach Approach Training (CAST 4) in December
- Will-Power Workshop hosted by Rocky Mountain UM Foundation - Dec. 11
- Rocky Mountain UM Foundation offering Endowment Ministry webinars - Jan. 14 and 20, 2015
- Save the Date: Generating Generosity Workshop - May 1, 2015
- Five-Day Academy for Spiritual Formation - May 3-8, 2015
- Wyoming Sub-District Lay Servant Training Courses at Christ UMC Casper - Jan. 23-24
- Utah/WestCo youth invited to Westside Weekend - March 6 to 8, 2015
- Project Stocking Stuffer party at St. Paul UMC Denver to benefit Urban Peak - Dec. 7
- Vital: Absolute Necessities workshop at Spirit of Hope UMC Englewood, Colo. - Jan. 24, 2015
- Teaching the Stories of Our Faith Workshops - Feb. 21, 2015
National Park Service hosts free events Nov. 29 to remember Sand Creek Massacre
Nov. 29, 2014 marks the 150th year since the Sand Creek Massacre. Those who lost their lives will be remembered as part of the commemoration activities planned at the park throughout the day. The public is invited to join staff for a series of free commemorative events, planned both at the park and in the town of Eads, Colo. For more information, go to www.nps.gov/sand or call 719-438-5916. Events planned at the park include the following:
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Monument Hill and upper parking area are closed. Visitor Contact Station, picnic area and lower parking lot will be open for activities listed below.
- 9 a.m. to noon: U.S. Postal Service representative will be available to cancel letters with the 150th Year Remembrance of the Sand Creek Massacre postal cancellation stamp.
- 10 to 10:30 a.m.: “The Sand Creek Massacre” – Join a park ranger in the picnic area for this insightful discussion on the surprise attack on the Cheyenne and Arapaho Village, which occurred 150 years ago.
- Noon to 12:30 p.m.: “And Still He Stayed” Join a park ranger in the picnic area for this interesting talk on Cheyenne Peace Chief Black Kettle. Who was he? Why is he remembered today?
- 1 p.m.: Monument Hill reopens to the public. Visitors are welcome to explore the park on their own or join speakers in the picnic area for a brief discussion on the importance of the day and background for establishing the park.
The public is invited to the town of Eads, Colo., to attend the following programs:
- 3 to 5 p.m.: Join park staff at the Crow Luther Cultural Events Center in Eads for a preview of two new film documentaries on the Sand Creek Massacre. Films will be shown to the public free of charge at 3 p.m. and again at 5 p.m.
Creating a Culture of Renewal with Rebekah Simon-Peter - Jan. 6 to 8, 2015
BridgeWorks will host a retreat on "Creating a Culture of Renewal" led by Rev. Rebekah Simon-Peter from Jan. 6 to 8, 2015 in Denver. The specific site will be announced later. She will lead a six-month accelerated Track 1: Culture and Communication group. Decode hidden messages unintentionally delivered through worship and ministries of the church which reinforce a stuck culture. Work with a trained mentor to turn insight into action. Watch this video to learn more.
Western Jurisdiction United Methodist Clergywomen’s Consultation - Feb. 23 to 25, 2015
The Wisdom of Women: Western Jurisdiction United Methodist Clergywomen's Consultation will be held in Salt Lake City, Utah, from Feb. 23 to 25, 2015. Join us for an extraordinary time of creativity and renewal. Our unusual format will include TED-talk-style presentations on ministry ideas that most intrigue you — along with time for community discussion. You’ll have the chance to vote in advance and help decide the topics via the Western Jurisdiction Clergywomen’s Consultation Facebook page. You can also offer to share your ministry wisdom and experience! There will also be yoga classes, massages, Temple Square history tours, shopping, dining out, hiking, museums and naps. Click here for our brochure with more information or follow us on Twitter. Registration is now open. The cost is $50 (hotel not included). Click here to register today.
Wesley Festival Seeks Participants for May 2015 Gala Concert in Washington, DC
The Wesley Festival was founded in 2007 to bring people together through music to support critical missions of The United Methodist Church. Dr. James Ramsey, Director of Music and Arts at St. Luke's United Methodist Church in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, is the event founder and director. The 2015 festival will feature founder James Ramsey, guest conductor Helen Cha-Pyo of the Empire State Youth Orchestra, Adrienne Danrich, Soprano; Kenrick Mervine, Organ; members of the armed forces orchestra; singers from around the world; and invited leaders and dignitaries of the United Methodist Church and the United States. The festival will culminate in a gala concert at Washington D.C.'s John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, benefiting Imagine No Malaria.
Sand Creek Prayerful Preparation gathering at Eads UMC - Nov. 29
The Rocky Mountain Conference is sponsoring a Prayerful Preparation gathering at 9 a.m. Nov. 29 at Eads United Methodist Church, 110 E. 11th Ave., in Eads, Colo., prior to the 16th Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run & Walk. All are invited to attend, reflect and learn more about the Sand Creek Massacre before heading to the opening ceremony of the run, which begins at 1 p.m. at the Sand Creek National Historic Site. Parking will be very limited at the Sand Creek Massacre site, so the Conference has arranged for boxed lunches and a charter bus to carry people from Eads to the site. A suggested donation of $35 will help offset the costs. If you can't contribute, please join anyway to reduce the number of cars at the site. Please register online for the Saturday Prayerful Preparation at Eads UMC and to ride the bus.
Coach Approach Skill Training (CAST 4) at Hope UMC Greenwood Village - Dec. 9 and 10
Many Coach Approach Skill Training students in the Rocky Mountain Conference and the Yellowstone Conference have completed some combination of CAST 1 "The Basic Skills of Coaching", CAST 2 "The Advanced Skills of Coaching", or CAST 3 "Group and Team Coaching".
We are now offering CAST 4 "Mastery" on Dec. 9 and 10 at Hope United Methodist Church, 5101 S. Dayton St., Greenwood Village. The pre-requisite for this training is CAST 1, which means that participants who missed one of the earlier trainings can still participate in this one. Once again much of the training will be experiential and will rely heavily on group participation.
Will-Power Workshop hosted by Rocky Mountain UM Foundation - Dec. 11
Rocky Mountain UM Foundation offering Endowment Ministry webinars - Jan. 14 and 20, 2015
Boost your church endowment with great marketing tools!
Churches that already have an endowment fund are invited to “jump in” with the current class of Endowment Ministry webinars starting Jan. 14, 2015. Learn how to create a marketing plan, develop materials that encourage endowment and legacy gifts, and establish a timeline for requesting gifts. Call 303-778-6370 to join the action! Registration deadline is Dec. 15.
Your church doesn’t have an endowment?!
A second series of Endowment Ministry Webinars will begin Jan. 20, 2015. Click here to learn how YOUR CHURCH can gain financial strength through an endowment fund. Registration deadline is Dec. 15. For details about these webinars, go to the Rocky Mountain United Methodist Foundation website.
Save the Date: Generating Generosity Workshop - May 1, 2015
Pastors and lay church leadership, save the date for an exciting workshop on Generating Generosity, featuring guest speaker David Bell. Additional break-out sessions include technological giving options, narrative budget creation and saying thank you, and how to set up a legacy giving program.
Read more about the workshop on this flyer. Bring a group from your church for maximum effectiveness. The venue is St. Andrew's UMC, Highlands Ranch. The workshop is sponsored by the Board of Discipleship and the United Methodist Foundation. Information about registration will be available soon. But for now, save May 1, 2015.
Five-Day Academy for Spiritual Formation - May 3 to 8, 2015
The next Five-Day Academy to be held in the Rocky Mountain Conference will be May 3 to 8, 2015 at Sacred Heart Retreat Center in Sedalia, Colorado. The theme is "Christian Spirituality in an Interfaith World" and the lecturers will include Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, and Islamic practioners.
The Academy for Spiritual Formation® (Upper Room Ministries) provides a rich environment of grace for deepening the spiritual lives of committed individuals. Both lay and clergy reside in community with others who wish to seek God through a rhythm of study and prayer, rest and exercise, and solitude and relationship. The Five Day Academy is designed around a daily schedule including morning and night prayer, Eucharist celebrations, silence, spiritual community, covenant groups, and thoughtful faculty presentations - a balanced approach for head and heart.
The brochure and application information can be found at http://rmcumc.org/new/leadership-and-learning/spiritual-formation.html.
Wyoming Sub-District Lay Servant Training Courses at Christ UMC Casper
Utah/WestCo youth invited to Westside Weekend - March 6 to 8, 2015
Teaching the Stories of Our Faith Workshops - Feb. 21, 2015
A Workshop for Those in Ministry with Children
- Small Group Dynamics and Community Building for Families
- Special Needs Ministry - Visible and Unseen Challenges
- Safe Sanctuaries
- Developmental Theories and Learning Styles
- Helping Children Reach a Deeper Spiritual Level
- Liturgical and Special Seasons
- Sandy, Utah - Feb. 21, 2015
- Lyons, Colo. - TBD
- Rock Springs, Wyo. - TBD
Project Stocking Stuffer at St. Paul UMC Denver to benefit Urban Peak - Dec. 7
Vital: Absolute Necessities workshop at Spirit of Hope UMC Englewood, Colo. - Jan. 24, 2015