Affordable Care Act
This document summarizes key features of the ACA that may affect you as a clergy person or lay employee of The United Methodist Church (UMC).
Local churches and other salary-paying units (SPUs) in The United Methodist Church (UMC), as employers, need to understand an important employee notice requirement (Notice) this year under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), the national health care reform law. This summary is intended to help local churches and SPUs understand their responsibilities with respect to this Notice requirement.
Employers must have provided this Notice to all current employees before October 1, 2013 (regardless of whether you offer a health plan to your employees or not). This date was also the first day of open enrollment for the Health Insurance Marketplaces, also called “Exchanges” (for coverage to begin January 1, 2014). For employees hired between October 1, 2013, and December 31, 2013, the Notice must be provided on the employee start date. For employees hired on or after January 1, 2014, the Notice must be provided within 14 days of hire.
Please review the documents below:
- Introductory Letter from the RMC
- Summary of Notice Requirements
- Template Form from the U.S. DOL - Offering Insurance
- Template Form from the U.S. DOL - Not Offering Insurance
- Guidelines Summary
- "Sample" Letter
Important Information for Retirees Regarding Extend Health:
- No HealthFlex premium payments or deductions from pension checks
- Conference will provide a monthly stipend to retirees which will be deposited in a tax advantaged (tax free) Health Reimbursement Account to be used for medical related expenses such as premiums, co-pays and deductibles. (Any money not used in one calendar year automatically rolls over for future year use).
- With the assistance and support of Licensed Benefit Advisors at Extend Health, retirees can purchase a health plan most suited to their individual needs and, in general, at a lower cost.
- Stipend payment levels will be reviewed by your Conference Board of Pension and Health Benefits every 2 years. Currently, the amount is $100 per month or $1,200 per year.
- Your Board has established a “safety net” fund to assist with unanticipated “outlier” medical costs incurred by retirees.
Extend Health Brochure
Extend Health FAQs
Extend Health Presentation- PDF
2012 Annual Conference Petition AC01
Health Premium Rates
Medical and Pharmacy -- Active -- United Health Care(UHC)
- 2014 PPO Option 750
- 2014 Pharmacy Plan
- VSP (vision) Benefit Summary
- PPO Benefits Summary and Plan Booklet
- OOA Benefits Summary and Plan Booklet
- Medco Pharmacy Prescription Drug Plan
- Health Flex Phone #'s
Medical and Pharmacy--Retirees
Retirees and/or their enrolled spouses of Medicare age will enroll through Extend Health. Retirees and/or their enrolled spouses not of Medicare age will continue to be covered under the active plan until they reach Medicare age.
Dental--Active and Retiree
United Behavioral Health (UBH)
Other Important Information
- Age 10 and Under
- Age 11-24
- Age 25-64
- Age 65 and Over
- Personal Health Screening Guidelines
- Weight Watchers
- Wellness and You -- Wellness Exam Benefits
Electronic Funds Transfer/Online payments
- EPO = Exclusive Provider Organization
- HMO = Health Maintenance Organization
- MRA = Medical Reimbursement Account
- OOA = Out of Area
- PCP = Primary Care Physician
- PPO = Preferred Provider Organization
- UBH = United Behavioral Health
- UHC = United Health Care
- VSP = Vision Service Plan
- EAP = Employee Assistance Program
If a form that you need is not here, please contact Jana Collins at (303) 325-7050.
Note: If your system gives an error or information dialogue indicating it doesn't know what to do with a "PDF" file, you may need a recent version of a PDF Reader. This graphic will take you to the Adobe Acrobat Reader download site.